…But you have to make the justice; it doesn’t just show up without our participation, or our effort. Things don’t get better just by us waiting for them to happen. We all have to engage in the better making from wherever we are and each moment presents an invitation for us to do that”
Excerpts from a sermon by Tayikah Nur Amin "The Call to Our Faith" https://www.uua.org/worship/words/homily/call-our-faith
Mission and Commitment
To help us understand the role of race in ourselves, our institutions, and the wider community as we strive to dismantle white supremacy and become an anti-racist congregation. See what participants are saying about how their understanding of themselves and the community has been impacted by this work.
- Nourish our understanding by hosting workshops and film, podcast and book discussions.
- Awaken and engage the congregation in anti-racist activities.
- Inspire legislative action around criminal justice reform, immigration, and other justice issues.
What We Are Doing
All are welcome to participate.
- Educating our congregation and the wider community.
- Combating voter suppression. Read about our work.
- Providing opportunities for discussion about race, racism and being anti-racist.
- Collaborating with interfaith partners and secular organizations to work toward racial equity and inclusion in the Merrimack Valley.
What We Have Done
Linked below are some of the books, podcasts and movies we have discussed as a group. We are always ready to support repeat programs for new groups with discussion and facilitation guides.
- Books: including “Color of Law” and “So You Want to Talk About Race”
- Podcasts: including “Seeing White” and “The 1619 Project”
- Led efforts to understand and acknowledge the parts of our congregation’s history in which some of our forebears profited at the great expense of others. Read the booklet we produced online – Hidden in Plain Sight: The Unexamined History of a New England Town & Parish. You can also obtain a copy by emailing the Racial Justice Team (suggested donation $5.00/copy) or visiting the North Andover Historical Society.
- Mobilized team of post card writers in support of Reclaim Our Vote efforts to combat voter suppression.
- For more information see past Annual Reports.